Guided tours at Oljeön.Address: Ängelsbergsvägen, 73790 Ängelsberg Date: Saturday 26 sep 2020 Show map
Address: Ängelsbergsvägen, 73790 Ängelsberg
Experience the over 140-year-old oil factory in Ängelsberg, the oldest preserved oil refinery in the world! Join the ferry Petrolia over to the Oil Island and go on a guided tour during the summer. Guided tours in Swedish, audio guide available in English.
Se the intact factory interior, visit the workers´ home and get to know the everyday life of the people who lived and worked on the Island. Experience the over 140-year-old oil factory in Ängelsberg, the oldest preserved oil refinery in the world! For 50 years, Engelsberg's Oil Factory provided Swedish households and industry with light oil and kerosene. Join the ferry Petrolia over to the Oil Island and go on a guided tour during the summer. Se the intact factory interior, visit the workers´ home and get to know the everyday life of the people who lived and worked on the Island.
• A guided tour takes about 1 hour and 30 minutes, including the ferry ride over.
• The guided tour is only in Swedish. Audio guide is available in English and German. Scan the Audio guide QR codes with your Smartphone. The QR-codes can be found at the ferry location and on the Island. If you do not own a Smartphone, you can borrow an audio guide device at the Visitor Center, +46(0)223-131 00/444 64.
• Meeting place: Below Ängelsberg train station.
• Large parts of the tour take place outdoors or in unheated spaces. On colder days and during the off-season, warmer clothing is recommended.
• On the Oil Island there is only one privy. The nearest toilet can be found at the Visitor Center (Galleri Ängelsbergs Brukshandel). It is possible to reach the toilet with a wheelchair and walker via the staff entrance, contact the staff, +46(0)223-131 00/444 64.
• We want to inform you that there is no running water on the Oil Island. On warmer days, we recommend that you bring your own water bottle.
• Environmentally hazardous oil has been handled on the island. Do not sit on the ground next to the factory, instead use the benches and chairs that are located in front of and behind the factory. Do not lick the walls!
• The museum on the island is preserved as it looked when the factory was in operation, hence the factory is not designed for tourists. Watch out for uneven floor surfaces and beams in the ceiling. Avoid touching sticky surfaces, products and tools.
• It is not allowed to smoke on the island as well as on the Petrolia ferry. At the ferry location, there are ashtrays to use before / after viewing.
Visitors with a walker, wheelchair or stroller
At the ferry location there is a wheelchair accessible road and ramp to the ferry. At the entrance to the oil factory there is also a removable threshold. The terrain can be difficult to access. Keep in mind that it is grassland that can hamper accessibility, especially in the rain. The path up to the worker´s house shown during the tour is steep, stones and roots impair access. Access to benches and seating is available during much of the tour. The attendant or personal assistant pays nothing for the guiding tour, contact us for more information: +46(0)223-131 00/444 64.